- Sep 07, 2017 In the Microsoft Office 2011 14.7.7 Update volume window, double-click the Office 2011 14.7.7 Update application to start the update process, and then follow the instructions on the screen. If the installation finishes successfully, you can remove the update installer from your hard disk.
- The Mac was introduced January 24, 1984, and Microsoft introduced Word 1.0 for Mac a year later, on January 18, 1985. The DOS, Mac, and Windows versions are quite different from each other. Only the Mac version was WYSIWYG and used a graphical user interface, far ahead of the other platforms.
- If your Office 365 for business subscription is associated with your work or school email account (these versions of Office are usually licensed to you through your work or school), you have the latest version of Office as long as you keep it up-to-date. Depending on your operating system, check for Office updates for PC or Office updates for Mac.
Office 365 ProPlus is being renamed to Microsoft 365 Apps for enterprise. For more information about this change, read this blog post.
Jul 09, 2015 Describes the Microsoft Office 2016 for Mac – July 9, 2015 update. Skip to main content. Microsoft Support. Office 2016 for Mac includes updated versions of familiar tools that are designed for the Mac, yet are unmistakably Office. Microsoft Excel 15.11.2.pkg; Microsoft AutoUpdate for Mac. If you would like to update Office but can't open any of your Office apps, try repairing your Office suite: Go to Control Panel Programs Uninstall a program. Find and select your version of Microsoft Office on your computer. In the bar above, click Change.
Existing Office 2016 for Mac customers will be seamlessly upgraded to 64-bit versions of Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, and OneNote as part of the August product release (version 15.25). This affects customers of all license types: Retail, Office 365 Consumer, Office 365 Commercial, and Volume License installations.
Deployment options for the 64-bit update
Customers who use Microsoft AutoUpdate (MAU) to keep their Office applications up-to-date will see a 'regular' monthly update notification when their selected channel is upgraded to 64-bit builds. Depending on which version is installed on the local computer, MAU will offer either a delta or full update. The update package size does not change between 32-bit and 64-bit versions. Also, MAU can deliver a delta update when applicable to update a user from 32-bit to 64-bit applications. Therefore, customers won't experience a sharp increase in download activity. For the release to the Production channel, customers will see '(64-bit)' in the update title to make them aware that this is a 64-bit update.
For information about how to use the MAU, see Check for Office for Mac updates automatically.
The August release of Office for Mac is available for manual download. The following file provides a 64-bit package to replace existing 32-bit applications with 64-bit variants during installation:
Download the Microsoft Office 2016 for Mac August update package now.
Microsoft scanned this file for viruses, using the most current virus-detection software that was available on the date that the file was posted. The file is stored on security-enhanced servers that help prevent any unauthorized changes to it.
Volume License Service Center
Volume License customers typically get their Office 2016 software from the Volume License Service Center (VLSC). These builds are refreshed infrequently and are typically aligned with new language editions. The VLSC will continue to offer 32-bit installers (15.23) until November 2016. However, all updater packages that are released after August will be based on 64-bit builds. Therefore, a VLSC customer who updates either manually or through AutoUpdate will be transitioned to 64-bit builds.
The Mac operating system has been 64-bit for several years. Unlike for Windows, there's no choice between running a 32-bit or 64-bit version of the Mac operating system. Similarly, we won't offer a choice between 32-bit and 64-bit versions of Office 2016 for Mac. After each 'channel' is transitioned per the rollout schedule, only 64-bit builds will be available.
Effect on third-party applications and add-ins
The transition to 64-bit Office for Mac was announced on the Office developer blog in April 2016. This website is the primary reference for third-party vendors to understand the change and the effect on their products. IT Pros will want to understand which compiled add-ins are deployed to the users whom they manage so that they can assess the effect of the upgrade. The following Microsoft Office website summarizes the issues that affect the more common add-ins that are used together with Office 2016 for Mac:
Tools for inspecting product architecture
To verify the architecture of an Office application (that is, to understand whether you have a 32-bit or 64-bit build), start the application, open the Activity Monitor, and then enable the Kind column.
You can also use the file command in a terminal session to inspect the binary. For this use, type file -N <path of binary>.This method can be used with for any binary file, including third-party add-ins.
The file command returns one of three values.
|Mach-O 64-bit executable x86_64||64-bit binary|
|Mach-O executable i386||32-bit binary|
|Mach-O 64-bit executable x86_64||FAT binary (compatible with both 32-bit and 64-bit processes)|
|Mach-O executable i386||FAT binary (compatible with both 32-bit and 64-bit processes)|
Options for reverting to 32-bit installations
There may be situations in which the customer has to change code that's not 64-bit ready. If customers can't immediately move forward to 64-bit builds, we will make available a one-time 32-bit update for the 15.25 release in addition to the default 64-bit updates. The 32-bit updates will be available only for manual download from the Office CDN.
The latest 32-bit release of Office 2016 for Mac (15.25.160818) can be downloaded from https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=823192.
Customers who manually install the 32-bit release won't be offered the 64-bit version of 15.25 through MAU. However, MAU will offer the 64-bit version of 15.26 in September 2016. Therefore, customers have a limited time to remain on 32-bit builds.
If a customer has already upgraded to the 64-bit update of Office for Mac 15.25 and wants to revert to the 32-bit version, follow these steps:
- Exit all open Office 2016 applications.
- Start Safari, and then browse to https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=823192 to start the download of the 32-bit installer.
- Double-click the downloaded package, and then follow the instructions.
The 64-bit installation has a build date of 160817. The 32-bit version has a build date of 160818.-->
Applies to:Office for Mac, Office 2019 for Mac, Office 2016 for Mac
Microsoft AutoUpdate (MAU) version 3.18 and later includes the msupdate command-line tool. This can be used to start the update process for Microsoft applications produced for Mac, such as Office. The tool is primarily designed for IT administrators so that they have more precise control over when updates are applied. You can download the latest version of MAU from this link.
msupdate works by sending Apple Events to the MAU daemon. On macOS 10.14 Mojave and later, you may see a privacy prompt when running msupdate for the first time. If you are using an enterprise management tool such as Jamf Pro, you should deploy a Privacy Preferences Policy Control (PPPC) payload to pre-approve access. Samples of such a payload can be downloaded from here.
Use the following steps to start using the tool:
- Open the Terminal application
cd /Library/Application Support/Microsoft/MAU2.0/Microsoft AutoUpdate.app/Contents/MacOS
Microsoft Office For Mac Upgrade
The following options are displayed:
Examples of how to use msupdate
- Display the current configuration parameters for AutoUpdate:
- Display the current configuration parameters in machine-readable format:
./msupdate --config --format plist
- List all available updates:
- Download and install all available updates:
- Download and install the latest updates for Word, Excel, and PowerPoint:
./msupdate --install --apps MSWD2019 XCEL2019 PPT32019
- Download and install a version-specific update for Outlook:
./msupdate --install --apps OPIM2019 --version 16.17.180090901
Microsoft Office For Mac Upgrade From Office 11 Free
The following table lists the applications for Mac supported by AutoUpdate. The identifier is used when specifying the
--apps parameter. When specifying multiple applications on the command-line, separate identifiers with a space.
|Application||Latest version1||2016 version2|
|Skype for Business||MSFB16|
|Intune Company Portal||IMCP01|
1 These identifiers are used for Office 2019 for Mac, either a retail or a volume licensed version, and for Office for Mac (from an Office 365 plan) running on macOS version 10.12 (Sierra) or higher.
2 These identifiers are used for Office 2016 for Mac, either a retail or a volume licensed version, and for Office for Mac (from an Office 365 plan) running on macOS version 10.11 (El Capitan) or earlier.
- If an update is pending for MAU itself, that update must be applied before any applications can be updated.
- Identifiers are not case-sensitive when run interactively from the command-line, but use the character casing from the table above when running from a management tool such as Jamf Pro.
- Update history and release notes for Office for Mac